Use pesto as a sandwich spread, on pasta or toss with vegetables. Pesto has endless uses, freezes well in small portions and makes a great gift.
- .5 cup pignoli or walnuts (It's very important to make sure to use fresh nuts)
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh garlic (Amount depends on intensity of the garlic & your taste preference)
- 5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed down lightly
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1.5 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup good quality, fresh grated parmesan cheese
Add the nuts and garlic into a food processor using the blade attachment. Process fro about 15 seconds.
Add the basil, salt and pepper.
With the processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil through the feed tube and blend until the pesto is pureed well.
Add the parmesan and puree for about one minute.
Use immediately or portion into air tight containers filling almost to the top. Add a thin layer of olive oil to the top to seal out any extra air and then secure with lid and freeze.