Perfect. Potato. Salad.F
resh herbs are one of my favorite things about summer cooking and this recipe is a great way to showcase my garden’s bounty. The chopped herbs are tossed with warm potatoes, champagne vinegar and white wine to come together for a fabulous summer side dish.
Ina Garten’s French style, no-mayo, potato salad is going to take your average summer barbecue to the next level. It’s a fantastic served as a side dish accompanying crab cakes, a grilled steak or even simple hamburgers.
The herbs can take some time to prep, but it’s worth it to serve up what everyone is sure to tell you, is the best potato salad they have ever had. After making this homemade potato salad, you never serve the stuff from the deli counter ever again!
This recipe is best if served within a few hours of making, warm or at room temperature, however, this dish holds up pretty well for about 24 hours if you need to make it in advance. After that, the herbs start to brown and breakdown. If refrigerated, take out about an hour before serving to take the chill off.
Ina Garten's French Potato Salad is full of fresh herbs and vinagar and the perfect dish to elevate your next backyard barbecue!
- 1 pound small white boiling potatoes
- 1 pound small red boiling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons good dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced scallions white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves
- Drop the white and red potatoes into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. As soon as you can handle them, cut in 1/2 (quarters if the potatoes are larger) and place in a medium bowl. Toss gently with the wine and chicken stock. Allow the liquids to soak into the warm potatoes before proceeding.
- Combine the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes. Add the scallions, dill, parsley, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.