reakfast casseroles are all the rage, and why not? They are incredibly easy to make, delicious, can be made in advance and a great way to use up leftover ingredients that you have on hand. It’s always a hit for breakfast lovers of all ages.
Similar to a frittata, but not exactly, this egg dish has become popular for KETO dieters, meal preppers, commuters, parents, and your basic brunch host. (I’m sure I am leaving someone out!) Just about everyone, of all ages, can find a variation of this breakfast casserole that they like.
Breakfast casserole is so easy, fun and completely customizable. Personally, I like to add in a layer of tater tots or hash browns because potatoes make me happy. However, they are optional. When I make this for my nieces or a group of friends, including the tater tots always earns me a few extra bonus points 🙂
The combinations of ingredients are endless- only your creativity will limit you! Here are some variations that I have made to hopefully inspire you to make your own!
- Sausage, mushroom, onion and fontina cheese
- Ham, mushroom and swiss cheese
- Spinach, mushroom, onion and cheddar cheese
- Broccoli, cheddar and onion
- Bacon, peppers and scallions
- Crab, Bacon & Cheddar
To cut clean portions, cook completely and cool completely Remove casserole from dish and cut into squares and replace into casserole dish. This makes it easy to reheat whole or as individual slices. You can also wrap and refrigerate or freeze individual portions for breakfast on the go.
- 3 cups cooked tater tots
- 1/2 -3/4 cup shredded cheese of choice
- 5 breakfast sausage links- cooked and sliced or diced.
- Half of a large white onion sliced and sautéed.
- 8-9 large eggs- beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional, but it helps it fluff.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley optional
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 pyrex dish.
Toss the cooked tater tots with a pinch of salt & pepper for seasoning. Spread them out in a single uniform layer out on the bottom of the dish and lightly press them with the back of a spatula.
- Mix the heavy cream into the beaten eggs. Season well with Salt & pepper. Mix in half of the shredded cheese, the sausage & onions and pour mixture over the tater tots.
- Top with the remaining cheese and parsley. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked through.