Chicken Scarpariello is a classic Italian dish, often served family style. It is made with Chicken, hot or sweet Italian Sausage, bell peppers, onions, potatoes and hot cherry peppers. It is a great dish for feeding a crowd- if you can handle the heat!
This recipe takes some time at the stove so plan accordingly. I also don’t feel right not telling you that there is a significant splatter effect that takes place while searing the sausage. However, once all these ingredients are put together in the pot, the flavors come together for a spicy, sweet, savory dish. You can find Chicken Scarpariello at many Italian restaurants, but this recipe is so much better than what you would get out.
This chicken recipe is savory and spicy and fit for a crowd!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken cut into small serving pieces
- 1 lb Italian sausage cut in 1-inch pieces (sweet or hot or both)
- 1 small red bell pepper julienned
- 2 garlic cloves minced and crushed
- 6 hot cherry peppers sliced (bottled in vinegar)
- 1 onion sliced
- 1⁄2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves crushed
- 1 cup chicken broth canned or fresh
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine such as Pinot Grigio
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 -2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes or similar
- 3 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms sliced (optional)
In a deep skillet or dutch oven, heat oil. Add chicken and sausage in batches; brown on all sides. removing pieces to a plate as they brown. (be careful of the splatters.)
Drain oil leaving 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the pan. Over medium heat, add the mushrooms, red bell peppers, sliced cherry peppers, onion, potatoes, and garlic; saute until tender.
Return chicken and sausage to skillet. Add salt, black pepper, the rosemary , the broth, the wine, and lemon juice.
Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, about 25 minutes.
Remove chicken and sausage from skillet; arrange on a warm serving platter.
Skim excess fat from mixture. In a small glass cup, mix flour (or cornstarch) with 1/4 cup water until blended. Stir into liquid in skillet. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly for about 1 minute, or until mixture thickens.
Add meat back into sauce or spoon sauce over chicken and sausage, garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve with crusty bread.
Use sweet sauce and reduce the hot peppers to control the spice level, keeping in mind that the recipe is intended to be a spicy dish. (Not recommended for people who like mild foods.)