This 3 ingredient recipe is for what I would describe as “Mexican style shredded chicken”, but it is also well known as “salsa chicken.”
As far as slow cooker recipes go, this salsa chicken recipe ranks at the top of my list. It’s gluten free, low carb, and incredibly versatile. It requires minimal effort, yet the results are incredibly rewarding. I use this recipe to make chicken tacos, chicken enchiladas, stuffed peppers and more. Best yet, it can made in advance and even frozen. How great is that?
Check out this How to Video to see how easy it is to make this Mexican chicken recipe.
Why this is a winning recipe.
- It’s delicious
- Its an easy recipe
- It’s Low carb / KETO approved
- It’s Gluten Free (Be sure to use gluten free ingredients)
- It can be enhanced to preferred spice level
- It can be made in advance & even frozen
- It is versatile
- It requires 3 affordable ingredients
- It’s a crowd pleaser!
Shredded Salsa Chicken Recipe – 3 ingredients & 3 easy steps
Add any amount of boneless chicken breasts into the bottom on the slow cooker. (I typically use 3-6 boneless chicken breasts). Add one teaspoon of taco seasoning per chicken breast. Top with enough salsa to cover the chicken. Use tongs to toss and coat the chicken in the salsa. Set the slow cooker to high for 3-4 hours. Take note- the more chicken, the longer it may take. Periodically check on it to make sure everything is coated and positioned wellThat’s all there is to it. .
To tell if the chicken is done, use two forks and see if a piece easily shreds. If it does, it is done.
If the sauce is thick enough from cooking, you can shred directly in the slow cooker in the sauce in cooked in. (This all depends on the consistency of the salsa you selected and brand of taco seasoning because some have thickening agents in them.) If the sauce is too thin, simply drain everything in a colander and then add the chicken back into the slow cooker pot. From there, use your judgment and if the mixture is now too dry, add a few tablespoons of fresh salsa, and then begin to fork shred.
Once it is all shredded, it’s ready to eat as is or use any way you can think of. I love making chicken enchiladas and chicken tacos with this. And when I have leftover meat, I add a few extra tablespoons of salsa and vacuum seal it to freeze for another use. It defrosts very well.
Chicken Enchiladas are a great way to use shredded Salsa Chicken
- Chicken Enchiladas (my favorite!)
- Tex-Mex salads (or topped on any salad)
- Wraps with lettuce, tomato & cheddar cheese (a side of sour cream or guac doesn’t hurt!)
- Hard shell or soft tacos (most common!)
- The ever reliable….quesadilla (who doesn’t love a quesadilla?)
• If the sauce is thin after cooking, (all salsas are different) simply remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place in a large bowl and discard some or all of the excess moisture. Alternatively, just drain the whole mixture in a colander.
• When hosting Taco night, I rinse out the slow cooker and re-add the now shredded chicken, and set the slow cooker to “keep warm” until ready to use. I set up the taco bar and everyone can help themselves and build their own tacos!