This grilled chicken recipe is foolproof!
I really enjoy a good piece of grilled chicken, but I’m always so disappointed in the results! So often they come out bland and dry. And then I stumbled on a really great recipe by “Once Upon A Chef.” After making it more time than I can count, I am declaring it the best Grilled Chicken recipe! It’s simple, delicious, and reliable- exactly what grilled chicken should be.
The chicken is marinated in a ziplock bag with ingredients most of us usually have on hand. These ingredients are:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Avocado Oil would work well here too)
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Thyme
- Lemon Zest
- Minced Garlic
- Kosher Salt & Pepper (Kosher salt is the preferred cooking salt of professional chefs.)
This recipe works because the lemon zest brings a complexity and brightness that balances out the savory herbs. We use lemon zest in place of lemon juice here because lemon juice in a marinade makes it tough, and begins to cure it, turning it white. By using lemon zest, we get the citrus notes, but not the curing.
The Best Grilled Chicken Recipe is versatile, flavorful and easy to make.
This grilled chicken can be served hot, room temperature or cold. This makes it an excellent option for meal prep for sandwiches, salads or by itself simply reheated. It can be prepared in bulk and once cooked, can be reheated with sides of vegetables or topped with a slice of prosciutto or ham and melted cheese, or a dollop of pesto or your favorite sauce. It really is the most versatile protein and a great way to get started if you are new to meal prepping.
- 4 hours of marinating will do the trick, but overnight is even better.
- The grill needs to be HOT and clean!
- Take out the chicken about 20 minutes before grilling. The oil will harden in the fridge and needs to relax before grilling. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the excess oil and marinade left in the bag.
The recipe below features the exact ingredients as the original recipe, but I broke the steps down so they are easier to follow.