Zucchini is an extremely versatile vegetable that grows easily and abundantly in the summer months. One of the many dishes you can make with this Italian squash is to stuff it. It makes for individual portions and you can get extremely creative with your stuffings.
This particular version of stuffed zucchini is inspired by classic baked stuffed shells. Rather than stuff the pasta shells with a ricotta mixture and topped with tomato sauce, I stuff zucchinis. The zucchini adds texture and introduces a vegetable element, both which are typically absent from the original dish. The flavors are reminiscent of a vegetable lasagna, but better.In addition to this dish tasting really good, there are actually quite a few other reasons I love this recipe.
- It’s carb and gluten free
- It’s super easy to make
- It can be made in advance (always a fan)
- It’s great to make for a party
- It travels well
- It’s inexpensive
- Served as individual portions
Serve the Italian style stuffed zucchini along side a simple salad of mixed greens. Mmm, Mmm Good!
- This is a great starter recipe for those just learning their way around the kitchen.
- Pierce a few spots in the bottom of the zucchini to let excess liquid drain out so the inside isn’t soggy.