Featured in Greenwich Lifestyle magazine – July 2020
Everyone loves corn in the summer- it’s sweet, savory, and genuinely makes people happy!
We are all familiar with the preparation of the summer classic “corn on the cob” but an even better way to highlight this popular summer vegetable is is to make a beautiful, bright corn salad.
This simple, delicious recipe is sure to be the star side dish at your next bar-b-que. (Better still, it’s a great way to use up all that basil that is starting to peak!) Corn & basil salad is a fantastic way to highlight the best of our local summer produce and herbs. The perfect complement to any summer gathering.
Feaster’s Tip: You can make it ahead. Here is how.
- Cook, prep & refrigerate the corn.
- In a separate container, make the dressing, omitting the basil, and refrigerate.
- About an hour before serving the salad, dress the corn being careful not to overdress (you may have extra dressing).
- Right before serving add the basil so it stays crisp and retains its color.
Corn and Basil salad is the perfect side dish for a your next barbecue
- 5 ears of corn shucked clean
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes (optional)
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn for 3 minutes until the starchiness is just gone. Drain and immerse it in ice water to stop the cooking and to set the color. When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob.
Mix together in small bowl vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Gently combine kernels (and tomatoes, if using) with the vinaigrette.
Just before serving, toss in the fresh basil. Taste for seasonings and serve cold or at room temperature.