The evil Coronavirus has us all being challenged in ways we never imagined, and like many of you, I am still finding it difficult to understand and accept our new reality. However with each passing day, that fact that we need to take responsibility for our own health is becoming more and more apparent.
I am a big believer in natural immune boosting and one of the ways I have been trying to boost my immune system over the past few days as this pandemic unravels, is to get sun exposure to boost my Vitamin D levels and to eat healing foods in abundance.
Today I decided I wanted to share with you one of my oldest recipes – Healing Cabbage Soup. It is what I have always made when we are under the weather or just feeling sluggish and need a vitamin boost. You can feel it’s effects almost immediately.
My hope is to inspire even just one person to make this soup (or another vitamin packed meal) to help them boost their immune system during this trying time of fighting COVID-19. I wish wellness to all and very speedy recoveries.
Heart healthy and packed with nutrients, healing cabbage soup is a delicious way to naturally boost your immune system.
- 1/2 large onion or one small onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks thin sliced
- 3 tsp minced or sliced garlic (more or less to taste. I like garlic.)
- 1/2 head of savoy cabbage large chop (about 1.5 inch cubes)
- 1 14oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 4 cups good quality chicken stock (bone broth if possible) (preferably homemade – it is so much healthier!)
- 1 cup Diced zucchini or any other mix of fresh vegetables you have on hand.
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves large rough chop or leave leaves whole
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, red peper chili flakes
Sautee onion in 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add in the celery and carrots. Sautee for about 5-7 minutes or until soft. Season with a teaspoon of kosher salt, a few grinds of fresh pepper, and a 1/2 tsp red pepper chili flakes. Stir in garlic, whole sprigs of thyme and rosemary and sautee for another minute or two.
Add in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add in cabbage and tomatoes and simmer for about ten minues. Taste for seasoning and adjust. I usually find it needs a dash more salt.
Add in remaining vegetables and continue to simmer until just cooked thorugh. Right before serving stir in parsley.